Dental Care Services for Pets
One of the most frequently diagnosed health issue in pets is dental or periodontal disease. Our veterinarians recommend that you evaluate your fur family member’s dental health at least once per year. Regular care and preventative checks can save pets from tooth decay and their owners from expensive oral surgery. In the same way that humans need a clean mouth, pets need to remove bacteria and food debris from their mouths.
Why is it important to practice good dental health in pets?
Dental disease does not just stay in the mouth, it can lead to further sickness. Bacteria from the mouth can get into the blood and cause illness in the liver, kidney, heart and lungs. Without early detection and treatment, these problems can even lead to death. Our veterinarians will perform a physical exam and some lab work to determine if a mouth infection has spread to your pet’s other organs.
What are signs of dental disease in pets?
Fortunately, when it comes to dental disease, many of the warning signs are quite visible.
- Excessive drooling
- Bad breath
- Red, swollen/bleeding gums
- Loose teeth
- Yellow/brown buildup (tartar) on teeth
- Changes in eating or chewing on one side of the mouth
- Pawing at the face
- Sneezing and nasal discharge
- Depression/ change in behaviour/ lack of interest in previously enjoyed activities
- Lumps or bumps in the mouth
How can I prevent dental disease in my pet?
- Change their diet. There are foods and treats that fight plaque and buildup on your pet’s teeth.
- Regular teeth cleaning. Our veterinarians and technicians will also show you how to brush your pet’s teeth at home.
- Annual oral exam. This features dental x-rays to look below the gum for disease and cleanings done under general anesthesia.
- Daily chew time. Safe chew toys can keep your pet’s mouth in top form.
- Regularly examine your pet’s mouth. Look for any sign of dental disease.
What dental services do we provide for pets?
- Oral cleanings
- Dental X-rays
- Dental surgery (including complicated extractions)
- Medication for comprehensive pain management